India has decided to extend National Knowledge Network to Bangladesh.
- Prime Ministers of India and Bangladesh unveiled e-plaques for supply of buses and trucks, inauguration of 36 community clinics, 11 water treatment plants, and extension of National Knowledge Network to Bangladesh.
More on news:
- National Knowledge Network will connect scholars and research institutes in Bangladesh with India and the world.
- Buses and trucks would assist the efforts towards affordable public transportation; water treatment plants will help supply clean water; and community clinics will benefit about 2 lakh people in Bangladesh
- The government is in the process of extending India’s National Knowledge Network to SAARC countries in order to enhance cooperation in the field of education.
What is National Knowledge Network?
- NKN is a state-of-the-art Pan-India network and is a revolutionary step towards creating a knowledge society without boundaries.
- NKN is intended to connect all the knowledge and research institutions in the country using high bandwidth / low latency network.
- In March 2010, the Cabinet Committee on Infrastructure (CCI) approved the establishment of the National Knowledge Network (NKN) to be implemented by National Informatics Centre over a period of 10 years.
- Establishing NKN is a significant step towards ushering in a knowledge revolution in the country with connectivity to 1500+ institutions.
NKN has been established keeping the following features in mind:
- Establishing a high-speed backbone connectivity which will enable knowledge and information sharing.
- Enabling collaborative research, development and Innovation.
- Facilitating advanced distance education in specialized fields such as engineering, science, medicine etc.
- Facilitating an ultra-high speed backbone for e-Governance.
- Facilitating integration of different sectoral networks in the field of research, education, health, commerce and governance.
- Link to Global Networks to collaborate with the research communities across the globe.
- NKN is designed as a Smart Ultra High Bandwidth network that seamlessly interconnects the leading Scientific and Technological institutions - which are pursuing world-class research and development.
- NKN design is inherently proactive; it takes into account the requirements that may occur in the near term and long term.
- It will facilitate the development of India’s information infrastructure, stimulate research, and create next generation applications and services.
- The purpose of NKN goes to the very core of the country’s quest for building quality institutions with requisite research facilities and to create a pool of highly trained professionals.
- NKN is a significant step which will enable scientists, researchers and students from across the country to work together for advancing human development in critical and emerging areas.