High Altitude National Parks
HEMIS NATIONAL PARK
- It is a high-altitude national park in the eastern Ladakh region of the state of Jammu and Kashmir in India comprising of Central Crystalline belt of the Greater Himalayas.
- The park is bounded on the north by the banks of the Indus River, and includes the catchments of Markha, Sumdah and Rumbak, and parts of the Zanskar Range.
- World famous for being the best place to see the snow leopard in the wild, it is believed to have the highest density of snow leopards of any protected area in the world.
DACHIGAM NATIONAL PARK
- India’s northernmost and most elevated reserve, Dachigam is a national treasure nestled in the beautiful and troubled state of Kashmir.
- Spread over 140 sq. km., Dachigam is split into the Upper and Lower Dachigam sectors, both of which have seen better days. The magnificent hangul or Kashmir stag is the main mammal in the area and Dachigam is also home to the elusive snow leopard, marten, ibex, musk deer and other animal’s characteristic of the Himalayas.
- Birds like the Koklas pheasant and the monal pheasant inhabit the region. Srinagar’s Harwan Reservoir is fed by the numerous streams in the Dachigam forests, making the park a crucial catchment area.
- Since 1989, political unrest has caused this area to be severely affected as shifting priorities, terrorists and Indian officials have all played a part in the downfall of the park. The area is however, always breathtaking and more adventurous wildlife enthusiasts can still enter the park.
PIN VALLEY NATIONAL PARK
- This is a national park and that too the only one of Himachal Pradesh situated in the cold desert area.
- This whole region has the effect of Buddhism and thus there are built the gompas or monasteries here.
- The main animals found here are snow leopard, ibex, bharal, red fox, marten, weasel, pika, vulture, chukor, golden eagle and others.
- The main species of flora found here are shrubs, herbs, scrubs, juniper and birch in the form of forests.
KISHTWAR NATIONAL PARK
Kishtwar National Park
is a beautiful place, located in the Kishtwar district of the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The Park is named after the district in which it is located.
It was majorly founded to protect the Snow Leopards that are now slowly vanishing from the nature. Total area of the park is 425.00 Km2.
This national park was basically made to protect the endangered species of snow leopards and was given the status of a national park in 1981. This national park is surrounded by beautiful snowcapped Himalayas. The park is a scenic backdrop where many streams flowing through the park adds to the beauty of this wildlife paradise.
The Park is famous for its unique and rich wildlife and bird species. The flora mainly comprises coniferous, alpine, meadows and scrub forests.
The rich wildlife includes Brown Bear, Himalayan Black bear, Musk Deer, Ibex, Markhor, Snow Leopard, Wild boar, Bharal, Indian Muntijal, Serow, and Rhesus macaque (Hangul and Kashmiri stag that migrate in winters from Dachigam National Park).
Any suggestions or correction in this article - please click here